Thursday, July 17, 2008

Luke Chapter One - July 17, 2008

Read Today's Passage

Luke is probably my favorite account of the Gospel. I studied it a lot in college, and I came to really enjoy Luke's writing style. He likes to focus on women and children, demolishing the "second-class" status that they had in our world in favor of showing them as important to Jesus in the Kingdom.

This is evident from the start. Not only are Mary and Elizabeth featured here, but Mary is visited by an angel, a messenger from God! We see them receive their news. We see them visit together. Mary's song at the joy of her news is included here. It is pretty amazing to see this much time given to women a society such as they were living in.

And Zachariah's story is petty amazing too. He asked God how He could accomplish such a feat, focusing on his own human failings, and God gave him something to remember just how powerful God is. If God would shut my mouth when I question Him I might learn not to.

What did you think?

1 comment:

Nancy D said...

why do you suppose that Zechariah was chastized for questioning the prophesy of the angel and Mary was not. They both expressed doubt.