Monday, July 21, 2008

Luke Chapter Five - July 21, 2008

Read Today's Passage

I love when Jesus calls Simon. Simon falls to his knees and sees that Jesus is indeed a man with power. He has never met Jesus! And since we already know that Simon is married, do you suppose that Jesus had Simon haul in this large catch (probably the largest of his life) so that his family would be taken care of while Simon was gone? And when Jesus calls Levi, Levi then throws a huge party full of all his friends - tax collectors! Levi's friends were from the same walk of life as he was, and a lot of them probably began following Jesus after this day... but the Pharisees were mad because Jesus was eating with sinners. Man, I think we are more like the Pharisees every day.

I also love that Luke makes it a point to tell us that Jesus often withdrew to solitary places to pray. How often do we do this? Most likely not as often as we should...

Old and new wine skins. I love it.

What did you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never thought about the fish like that before, Brett....hmmm....I wonder!

I am just so amazed(not in a good way) by the Pharisees. They think they are so perfect, have NO humility, and do so many things against God IN HIS NAME!!!! UGH!

I still don't understand why Jesus tells the leper to be quiet. Maybe because the leper didnt realize who he was, just knew that a miracle took place? Maybe Jesus wanted him to keep quiet so people didn't come to Him just to be healed(selfish reasons), but wanted people to come to Him because they know the need him (selfless reasons).

DO you think there is any significance in the order of what is happening?

Nancy D said...

I am with you Kelly. Never dawned on me that perhaps Jesus was providing for Simon's family and by doing so would have probably gotten his wife's blessing on Simon's leaving for awhile.