Sunday, July 27, 2008

Luke Chapter Eleven - July 27, 2008

Read Today's Passage

I love reading Jesus' teaching on prayer here. First He gives us a prayer to repeat, that also doubles as a model for how we should pray, praising God, acknowledging His glory, asking Him for what we need (not what we want), and praising Him again. Then he shares with us that God will not withhold anything that we need when we ask Him for it. It is a great comfort to me to see this.

And does it surprise you that people thought Jesus was using the power of Satan instead of God? He makes a great argument against His using Satan's power to undermine His own work. No kingdom that works against itself can stand. Makes me think, anyway...

And once again, He lets the Pharisees have it with both barrels. As I read through this list, I feel conviction that it is far too easy for me to fall into the trap of acting just like the Pharisees did. Sometimes I can ask too much of others without offering to walk alongside them. There are many times when I become too much like the Pharisees, and I do not like it. I don't want to be on the receiving end of God's wrath.

What about you?

No comments: