Tuesday, August 12, 2008

John Chapter Three - August 12, 2008

Read Today's Passage

I love how Nicodemus starts out his conversation with Jesus. "Rabbi, we know you are a teacher who comes from God." Think about that for a minute. A Pharisee who s coming to Jesus and not only is admitting that more than he knows that Jesus is from God, but he is addressing Jesus as Rabbi! (Rabbis were very authoritative teachers, and it would be obscene for Nicodemus to admit that Jesus was such a teacher if others saw him). If someone as highly placed as Nicodemus was could see this in Jesus, why do so many of us have a problem with admitting the teachings are solid and that we should follow them instead of just listening to them?

I especially enjoy the symbolism Jesus uses about the snake being lifted up by Moses to Israel (check it out for yourself). I especially love the verses following 16 here, there is such weight and no fence-sitting whatsoever. Jesus is incredibly blunt. Either you are with Him and love the light, or you are not and love the dark. No gray area. The same with John the Baptist. I love the fact that neither of these men are pulling punches and just laying it down. No hem-hawing, or fidgeting their fingers. Just plain, simple truth. No sugar coating.

I wonder why more of us don't do this today? Are we afraid to lose our status? Our friends? Our jobs? To be honest, this chapter reminded me a little bit of CJ's words on Youth Sunday.

So what did you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That does remind me of my words on sunday. I just dont understand why some people take such offense in the truth or are afraid to tell the truth. People just need to lighten up.