Sunday, August 10, 2008

John Chapter One - August 10, 2008

Read Today's Passage

Of all the Gospels, for some reason I find that I spend the least amount if time in John. This is not because I dislike it or anything like that. I just wind up in the other three mostly. There is so much great to be found in John though, and I am looking forward to rediscovering it this month.
  • I like how John refers to Jesus simply as The Word. It really sets the tone for his book. It also shows just a fraction of the power that Jesus has, as nothing can happen without Him.
  • Just imagine for a moment just what it took for Jesus to become flesh.
  • I love the way that John answered the questions of the people and the Pharisees. Very matter-of-fact and simple, yet loaded with meaning and expectancy.
  • It is interesting to see that Jesus stuck in the area for a little while after being baptized, seeing as how He walked by John again after being baptized.
  • Isn't it interesting that this is the only place we really get a view into how Philip and Nathanael were called? Interesting...
  • Where does this calling fit with the rest of the 12? Obviously Simon James and John have already been called, but after reading Nathanael's admission to Jesus' identity, has Jesus already asked Peter who he thinks that Jesus is?
Just some thoughts. How about yours?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1In the beginning was the word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning.

Ever since freshman year after taking a Philosophy course in college I always find this hard to comprehend the beginning of things with God. My Philosophy professor always upset me, because he never had yes/no answers in his beliefs. He really made me think about stuff. It was bad enough I thought about what we were learning in Philosophy in my other courses, when i went to sleep, and when i was eating. Conversations came up within my clique of friends, and we shared about what we believed individually.

Yeah I believe there is a God that created earth, creatures, and us. I don't think it could happen any other way... just look around and see what has been created. How Jesus sacrificed for our sins is mind boggling, but there is this emptiness inside of me that is hard to capture... to imagine nothing before it was created... is it even possible to imagine nothing?

Needless to say after taking my philosophy course my beliefs are the same about the bible, God, and Jesus, but i still question them. Who doesn't question their beliefs at some point or another?